Electric vehicle (EV) charging is categorized into three distinct levels: Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3. At a glance, it’s easy to grasp that as you ascend the charging hierarchy, both the power output and charging speed for your electric car increase. Yet, beneath this apparent simplicity lie some essential nuances. Before delving into the mechanics of each charging level, it’s crucial to gain insight into the underlying power sources that drive EV charging stations.
|Level||Connector Type||Typical Output Power||Estimated Charge Time (40kWh)||Estimated Range Per Hour for Charging||User Case|
|Level 1||Type 2*||1 kW – 1.8 kW||22 – 40 h||4 – 11 km/h||Home / Backup|
|Level 2||Type 2*||3 kW – 22 kW||2 – 13 h||16 – 120 km/h||Workplace, hotels, overnight charging|
|Level 3||CCS 2*||30 kW – 360 kW||15 min – 1.5 h**||193 – 2250 km/h||Fleets, Car dealerships, highway services, logistics hubs, distribution centers|
* Electric cars sold in Europe
** Depending on charge acceptance rate
Level 3 Charging (DC Fast Charging or Supercharging):
- Voltage: High-voltage direct current (DC) power source.
- Power Output: Much higher power levels, ranging from 20 to 350 kilowatts or more.
- Charging Time: The fastest level, capable of charging an EV to 80% in as little as 20-30 minutes.
- Use Cases: Mainly found at public fast-charging stations along highways for quick top-ups during long trips.
Level 2 Charging (240V AC):
- Voltage: 240 volts AC (Alternating Current).
- Power Output: Provides a higher power level, typically ranging from 3.3 to 19.2 kilowatts.
- Charging Time: Faster than Level 1, usually taking around 3 to 8 hours for a full charge.
- Use Cases: Common for home charging stations and public charging stations.
Level 1 Charging (120V AC):
- Voltage: 120 volts AC (Alternating Current).
- Power Output: Typically ranges from 1.2 to 1.9 kilowatts.
- Charging Time: Slowest level of charging, usually taking around 8 to 24 hours to fully charge an EV.
- Use Cases: Often used for overnight charging at home or in emergency situations.
There are no Level 1 products in Morek’s product range. They are usually provided by the car manufacturer, but not always.
Explore Morek’s state-of-the-art electric car chargers, offering swift and comprehensive solutions for homes, apartments, parking lots, and commercial buildings.